OFDM is a high spectrally efficient multiplexing technque, to increase the transported capacity. To guarantee the orthogonality, individual subcarriers are spaced in multiples of the reciprocal symbol duration, allowing their partial overlapping, but not interfering with one another at sampling instants. In the optical OFDM approach, the discrete Fourier operations can be performed in the optical domain, using the AWG device patented by Roma Tre. OFDM research has been carried out within the EU-funded ASTRON project , where a Terabit capable software-defined transceiver has been developed for flexible optical core and access networks.
- S. Shimizu, G. Cincotti, N. Wada, “Demonstration and performance investigation of all-optical OFDM systems based on arrayed waveguide gratings, ” OSA Optics Express, 20, 26, B525-B534 (2012).
- S. Shimizu, G. Cincotti, N. Wada, “Chromatic dispersion monitoring and adaptive compensation using pilot symbols in an 8 x 12.5 Gbit/s all-optical OFDM system,” OSA Optics Express 22, 7, 8734-8741 (2014).
- A. Abrardo, G. Cincotti, “Design of AWG devices for all-optical time-frequency packing,” IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, 32, 10, 1951-1959 (2014).
- P. Zakynthinos, G. Cincotti, M. Nazarathy, R. Kaiser, Polina Bayvel, R. I. Killey, M. Angelou, S. B. Ezra, M. Irion, A. Tolmachev, B. Gomez Saavedra, J. Hoxha, V. Grundlehner N. Psaila, G. Vollrath, R. Magri, G. Papastergiou, I. Tomkos, “Advanced hybrid integrated transceivers to realize flexible terabit networking,” IEEE Photonics Society Newsletter, 28, 1, 12-19 February (2014).
- P. Boffi, P. Martelli, P. Parolari, L. Blundetto, J. Morosi, G. Cincotti, “Demonstration and performance investigation of hybrid all-optical OFDM systems for optical access network applications,” IEEE Photonic Journal 7, 1, 7900309 (2015).
- J. Hoxha, J. Morosi, S. Shimizu, P. Martelli, P. Boffi, N. Wada, G. Cincotti, “Spectrally-efficient all-optical OFDM by WSS and AWG” OSA Optics Express 23, 9, 10986-10996 (2015).
- J. Morosi, P. Boffi, P. Martelli, P. Parolari, G. Cincotti, S. Shimizu, N. Wada, “Hybrid OFDM experimentation based on arrayed waveguide grating for all-optical FFT implementation in a PON architecture,” IET Electronics Letters, 51, 22, 1802-1804 (2015).
- J. Morosi, G. Cincotti, P. Martelli, P. Parolari, J. Hoxha, N. Wada, S. Shimizu, P. Boffi, “25-Gb/s per user coherent all-optical OFDM for Tb/s-capable long-reach PONs,” OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networks, 8, 4, 190-195 (2016).